We work to:
- Provide a 'quality of goods' scale to assist companies in Africa to widen their market and provide reassurance to international customers
- Source and distribute the fairest, highest quality natural ingredients from Africa to customers worldwide
- Promote 100% pure and natural cosmetics and ingredients at competitive prices
- Encourage fair trade and promote natural African products worldwide
- Represent the best in Fairtrade policies for the global community
About Akoma and Fairtrade
With a sharp eye on Fairtrade policies, Akoma Skincare works with the Akoma Cooperative Multipurpose Society, located in Bolgatanga, a poverty-stricken area in the upper east region of Ghana. Unemployment is high in this area and up to now, there have been very few opportunities for the people in this village to improve their condition.
One of the most rewarding part of working with the Cooperative is seeing the group open themselves up to explore other crafts and learn new skills such as dressmaking, soap making and cocoa butter production to help the cooperative grow.
Fairtrade is about fair prices, good working conditions, sustainability and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world. Companies are required to pay sustainable prices (which must never fall lower than the market price) and an additional amount, the Fairtrade Premium, for social and environmental projects.
About Fairtrade and beauty products
In June 2009 Fairtrade certified UK beauty products first became available. Fairtrade certified beauty products contain Fairtrade certified ingredients (like our Raw Organic Shea Butter and Ghanaian Black Soap) have been certified by the Fairtrade Foundation to carry the FAIRTRADE Mark.
For more information about Fairtrade, please visit the Fairtrade Foundation website at http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/