Jennifer Aniston was spotted with a shopping trolley full of coconut oil last year. Why was Jennifer Aniston buying coconut oil? because this often misunderstood oil is great for cooking and has plenty of health benefits.
The Benefits of Coconut Oil:
- Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids and monoglycerides which have immune-boosting and antioxidant activity and are antimicrobial.
- Coconut oil is also rich in Lauric acid (making up about 50% of the oil), and its derivative monolaurin, support the immune system and may prevent toxic/allergic reactions.
Metabolism and Thyroid
- Coconut oil is said to boost the metabolism and improve thyroid health (unlike soy or canola, which can suppress the thyroid). Farmers in the 1940’s fed animals on coconut oil for fattening but found they became more active and were leaner, as opposed to animals fed on corn and soybeans.
- Coconut oil appears to stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent symptoms of hypoglycemia
- Coconut oil, unlike most fats has no negative impact on cholesterol or the health of the arteries.
- Eating coconut oil results in lower serum cholesterol than eating olive oil.