Our mission is to help change a million lives for the better.
There are several ways in which we are putting our mission into practice, including the following:
- Building a cooperative in Ghana to help local people, in particular women, the opportunity to rise out of poverty.
- Sourcing and distributing the highest quality natural ingredients from Africa to customers around the world.
- Providing a 'quality of goods' scale to help companies in Africa widen their markets, and providing reassurance to international customers.
- Promoting 100% natural cosmetics and ingredients at competitive prices.
- Encouraging the use of natural African products worldwide.
- Being Fairtrade certified, to provide an example to others.
Akoma International works with the Akoma Cooperative Multipurpose Society in Bolgatanga, a poverty-stricken area in the Upper East Region of Ghana. Unemployment is high here and there have been few opportunities for the people in this village to improve their lives.
We have been working here since 2006, helping the local community improve their job prospects, their education and their health. It is our belief that we can do business in a way that benefits everybody – from our cooperative workers to our customers buying our products.
The Akoma cooperative in Ghana is Fairtrade certified, which means we adhere to the strict policies on fair prices (never lower than the market price), good working conditions, sustainability and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world. We are also required to pay an additional amount, the Fairtrade Premium, for social and environmental projects.
To find out more about Fairtrade, visit the Fairtrade Foundation website.