Founded in 2006, the Akoma Cooperative Multipurpose Society is a non-government organisation established to help members of the village ofPusu-Namogo, particularly the more vulnerable women, children and elderly, to rise out of poverty. The cooperative was created as a sustainable venture by Akoma International (UK) Limited, a company that plays a critical commercial role in building and maintaining import and export trade between Ghana and the international markets.
We focus on opportunities to
- reduce poverty for producers in developing countries, particularly the farming communities in Ghana
- increase local production capability and improve grow value for producers
- promote more sustainable and fairer trade
- increase awareness about the links between ethical sourcing and local production incorporating the standards agreed by developed countries, and
- simply put, to help create a world that we are proud to pass onto the next generation.
We work to
- provide a ‘quality of goods’ scale to help companies in Ghana to widen their market share and provide quality reassurance to international customers
- source and distribute the highest quality 100% pure and natural ingredients fromGhanato customers worldwide under fair trade agreements at competitive prices, and to
- create a brand that is Ghanaian owned that will have a positive impact on the livelihoods of the people of Ghana.
The Akoma facility currently produces over 100 tonnes of shea butter a year, of which 100 tonnes is certified organic. It can produce around eight tonnes of shea butter a day and has the storage capacity for approximately 12,000 bags of shea nuts. The cooperative currently produces
- Raw shea butter
- Ghanaian black soap
- Cocoa butter
- Palm oil
- Coconut oil
- Bolga Baskets
For more information visit the Akoma Cooperative Multipurpose Society website.